CNS Career Services recognizes that students need time to make informed decisions when evaluating and responding to offers. We also recognize that employers need to effectively manage their time-sensitive recruitment processes. The following guidelines are intended to help both students and employers manage the offer process in a fair and transparent framework. We've created these guidelines to help minimize reneges, reduce the pressure put on our students, and align with our peer institutions.
“Experience shows the best employment decisions for both students and employers are those that are made without pressure and with the greatest amount of information and transparency. Students given sufficient time to attend career fairs, participate in on-campus interviews, and/or complete the interviewing in which they are currently engaged are more likely to make good long-term employment decisions and may be less likely to renege on job acceptances.”
NACE Advisory Opinion: Setting Reasonable Deadlines for Job Offers
General Offer Guidelines
- Employers are recommended to be flexible in granting offer extensions on a case-by-case basis if the circumstances warrant it.
- Students will be encouraged to contact employers directly if they have any questions or concerns about their offers, including needing more time to make their decisions.
- All offers should be made in writing, either electronic or hard-copy. The start of the timeline is defined by the date on the written offer letter.
Exploding Offers - CNS Career Services expects all employers to refrain from such practices when recruiting our students. Students should not feel pressured to accept offers “on the spot” or within a quick turnaround time.
Withdrawing Offers - We strongly discourage any employer from withdrawing offers of internships or full-time employment. This action can tarnish the reputation of a company on campus.
Alcohol - Serving alcohol should not be part of the recruitment process. This includes any employer-related functions held on or off-campus.
Fall 2022 Offer Timeline and Deadlines
- Deadline for return offers: October 15 or two weeks (whichever is later)
- Deadline for new offers: October 31 or two weeks (whichever is later)
- Return offers include internships to full-time hire
Spring 2023 Offer Timeline and Deadlines
- For spring offers following the current semester, 2 weeks from written offer
- For spring offers to start in the following calendar year, offers should follow fall return guidelines
Employers who post jobs, attend a career fair, or recruit on campus with CNS Career Services must adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) guidelines, the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Employment Professionals, the UT Austin Campus-wide policies, and the Policies & Guidelines laid out by CNS Career Services listed on this page.
CNS Career Services reserves the right to refuse services to employers or individuals due to any of the following:
- Harassment of students, alumni, or staff
- Breach of confidentiality as required by FERPA
- Any violation of local, state, or federal laws
- Any violation of University of Texas rules and regulations